Our Vision and Values
The UHS Way
A Vision for Uxbridge High School
PROUD to make success happen Uxbridge High School is a happy and ambitious school that enriches individuals academically, socially and emotionally. ‘The UHS Way – We develop the whole student in a safe, inclusive and supportive environment. We nurture students’ ambitions ensuring all are PROUD of their success.’ The UHS Way is the foundation of everything we do, ensuring we:
• Provide exceptional learning experiences.
• Cultivate excellence in each student.
• Have a safe, respectful and happy community.
• Prepare students for future opportunities as global citizens.
• To have a sustainable school.
Uxbridge High School students embody the PROUD values: Positive learners, Respectful individuals, Open-minded thinkers, Unique talents, and Determined achievers
The UHS Student
Uxbridge High School students are PROUD to be:
• Positive to learn new knowledge and thrive on developing their skills.
• Respectful and kind to all members of our school community and its environment.
• Open minded and happy about all new opportunities.
• Unique in their demonstration of skills and talents.
• Determined to achieve their best in all areas of the curriculum.
UHS fosters a culture of growth and excellence from year 7 to year 13, cultivating ambitious, well-rounded individuals through a supportive, inclusive environment that values relationships, celebrates achievements, and prepares students for future success.
The UHS Culture
We nurture students’ ambitions from year 7 to year 13 in a safe, inclusive and supportive environment. We do this by:
• Developing the whole student • Cultivating excellence
• Building strong relationships
• Using praise to celebrate exceptional effort and achievement
• Teaching routines to develop self regulating students
• Modelling calm and unshockable reactions built on consistency
• Ensuring a learning environment which challenges students and raises aspirations
• Preparing students for future opportunities
UHS classrooms thrive on interactive and adaptive teaching, focused skill-building, and effective assessment, shaping students for future learning and career success.
The UHS Classroom
• All lessons start with 'meet, greet and seat' followed by a ‘Do Now’ activity. We 'end and send'.
• Adaptive teaching and intervention from the teacher meets the needs of individuals.
• We teach communication, literacy and numeracy at every opportunity.
• Questioning is used to assess knowledge and deepen thinking.
• Retrieval practice is used to recall knowledge in line with curriculum sequencing.
• Interleaving is used to make connections and enable problem-solving, evaluation and analysis.
• Lessons include opportunities for both guided and independent practice. Guided practice includes teacher to student and student to student activities.
• Timely assessment and feedback methods are used to motivate and encourage progress.
• Assessment data and software is used to accurately track progress and forecast grades.
• We explicitly teach skills for future learning and employment.