On 16th June, Year 9 students had a full day in Ypes, Belgium. The day involved the following activities:
- visit to Lijssenthoek military cemetery where nearly 12,000 British Commonwealth soldiers were laid to rest from WW1.
- visit to Langemark military cemetery to compare how Germany remembers WW1 differently to Britain.
- visit to In Flanders Museum.
- visit to a pottery workshop where students made their own soldier sculptures, which will be used as part of a large exhibition next year to commemorate the centenary of the war ending.
- visit to the Meningate and Indian Memorial.
Students ended the day by visiting an authentic Belgian chocolate shop and had time to explore the city prior to coming home. Everyone had a great time and enjoyed the trip.