RSC Teacher Workshop Weekend
From 23rd-25th September, English and Drama teachers attended a three day training course with the RSC, training them up to be experts on teaching Shakespeare.
This was part of the beginning of our new role as an RSC Lead Associate School. We are one of only 11 schools in England and the only school in London to have this accolade. This will allow us continue and deepen our relationship with the Royal Shakespeare Company and Intermission Youth Theatre and provide even more opportunities for our students. We will also use our expertise to reach other schools in the local area. We have recruited 10 associate schools to become part of the programme in 2016/17.
Being an RSC Lead Associate School will mean that in the academic year 2016/17 we will:
- Take Year 12 Performing Arts students on a four-night residential trip to Stratford-upon-Avon to work backstage at the RSC
- Host the professional production, RSC First Encounters Tempest in Uxbridge High School, with all students in the school invited
- Host a launch evening for all our associate schools with a performance from Intermission Youth Theatre
- Take a trip to see ‘Love Me to Death’ by Intermission Youth Theatre in Knightsbridge
- Have live RSC productions streamed into our classrooms, including Hamlet, Tempest and King Lear
- Host a summer Shakespeare Festival on our new outdoor stage at the Orsino Building, with performances from all 10 associate schools, our talented performers from Uxbridge High School, with stalls and music throughout the school
- Have actors and practitioners from Intermission Youth Theatre provide workshops on key texts for our English and Drama students
- Provide all Drama and English teachers training to teach Shakespeare by the RSC
It will be an exciting year! We are so PROUD to offer this level of passion for Shakespeare at our school.